Dell EqualLogic software gives you enterprise power with everyday simplicity by offering end-to-end solutions so you can efficiently move the right data to the right place at the right time for the right cost. EqualLogic PS Series is inspired by its users with built-in advanced software features enabling high-end storage to organizations of all sizes with no additional licensing fees.
The EqualLogic advanced software features enables IT professionals to:
- Virtualize storage environments easily
- Protect business critical data
- Optimize storage performance
- Streamline storage management and operations
By using the advanced features in EqualLogic, IT departments can leverage existing investments and maximize the capabilities of PS Series. Let EqualLogic do the work for you, while still maintaining control of your storage environment.
Advanced Software includes:
EqualLogic Array Software, including* EqualLogic Firmware*, *EqualLogic Group Manager* and *EqualLogic Manual Transfer Utility provides you with advanced SAN functions that automatically virtualizes and optimizes storage resources and provides advanced data protection and SAN management.
EqualLogic SAN Headquarters, a full-featured monitoring and analysis tool for EqualLogic PS storage arrays, helps strengthen your ability to analyze and optimize storage performance and resource allocation.
EqualLogic Host Integration Tools enable efficient data protection and simplify management and operation of the EqualLogic SAN through tight integration with Microsoft® , VMware® and Linux® operating platforms and applications. These tools can reduce the time spent on storage management while increasing the reliability and performance of the environment.
EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for VMware® tightly integrate the EqualLogic PS Series arrays with VMware host operating platform enabling consistent data protection, performance optimization and streamlined management and operation.
Protect Business Critical Data: Optimize Storage Performance: Streamline Storage Management and Operation:
|What’s new in Host Integration Tools for VMware 3.5? |
HIT/VMware 3.5 provides EqualLogic users with centralized data protection and efficient management of multiple EqualLogic groups from vCenter.
HIT/VMware 3.5 is comprised of:
- Virtual Storage Manager (VSM) 3.5 for VMware, a vCenter plugin that includes Multi-group management, Auto-Snapshot Manager, Datastore management, and Virtual Desktop Deployment features, and vSphere Storage APIs (VASA) Provider. Following are the new features in VSM 3.5:
Centralized management of multiple groups
Streamlined Replication configuration
Storage Recovery Replicas
Support for EqualLogic FS Series and Array Software 6.0 features
Enhanced GUI and installation procedure
- Multipath I/O (MPIO; also known as Multipathing Extension Module (MEM) for VMware vSphere)
- Storage Replication Adapter for VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRA SRM 2.2) which has added support for VMware® SRM 5.1 and vSphere 5.1
EqualLogic Auto-Snapshot Manager
Auto-Snapshot Manager is a high performance, space-efficient, hypervisor-aware data protection feature of Dell EqualLogic PS Series arrays that enable fast, online protection of VMware virtual machines, virtual machine folders, datastores and clusters. ASM/VE provides a VMware vSphere plugin interface that coordinates the creation, recovery and scheduling of snapshots and replicas with vCenter.This feature enhances protection, storage utilization, and performance of VMware-based virtual infrastructures. The resulting hypervisor-aware snapshot and remote replicas can now be easily and rapidly created, managed, and recovered.
- ASM guarantees consistent and usable smartcopies (snapshots, clones and replicas). A key benefit to IT managers is the data integrity of these hypervisor-consistent smartcopies.
- Storage Recovery Replicas provide a simplified storage recovery solution from a single vCenter managing multiple EqualLogic groups. This feature allows users a simpler mechanism for preserving their virtual machine state on a secondary PS group using just one VSM and vCenter server. With Storage Recovery Replicas, users can perform failover, restore and rollback operations
- ASM uses the SAN-based smartcopies and data copy offload ensuring fast and efficient online backup and recovery of individual virtual machines and entire VMFS datastores. Additionally, enhancing virtual server performance.
- Enables users to create and manage smartcopy schedules ensuring that the right data is backed up at the right time without much administration overhead.
- GUI integrated into the familiar vSphere client interface. Policies are logically assigned to virtual machine hierarchies for consistent data protection across the virtual infrastructure.
EqualLogic Storage Replication Adapter for VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRA SRM)
EqualLogic SRA SRM integrates VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager (SRM) with EqualLogic storage arrays through vStorage APIs and offers centralized automated disaster recovery management, automation, and testing for the entire virtualized datacenter. With SRA SRM, VMware SRM utilizes EqualLogic SAN-based replication feature thereby making disaster recovery manageable, reliable and affordable.
EqualLogic Multipath I/O (MPIO)
The unique peer storage architecture of EqualLogic storage arrays automatically balances workloads by seamlessly spreading data across multiple active storage resources, and optimizing the available network connections, cache, controllers, and drives. EqualLogic Multipath I/O (MPIO) enables VMware platforms to intelligently leverage EqualLogic SAN architecture, Storage and Network usage for optimized performance for customer environments.
- EqualLogic Multipath I/O (MPIO) enables intelligent and dynamic routing of your iSCSI SAN traffic load over multiple network paths between the server and the EqualLogic PS Series group.
- Provides increased bandwidth, reduced network latency, automatic connection management, failover and load balancing.
VSM allows discovery and management of multiple EqualLogic groups from a single vCenter. Multi-group management in VSM supports the following functionality:
- Display of group information
- Details on members, volumes, events, warnings and critical errors in the group within vCenter
- Ability to setup end-to-end replication configuration, including replication partnership for multiple datastores from a single, easy to use vCenter interface
Managing datastores has traditionally been a tedious process because IT managers have to separately provision volumes in the array and then create and manage datastores in vSphere. Datastore anagement unifies these two steps into one UI by automating storage provisioning thereby simplifying the datastore creation and management process.
- Datastore anagement helps simplify provisioning and managing datastores, and monitoring storage usage in the VMware vSphere client.
- Streamlines management of access control for datastores which helps in better securing the data. Access control policies can be defined for datastores and also be cloned and deployed on multiple datastores.
- Enables users to create, resize and delete FS Series datastores (containers and the NFS exports) from vCenter.
- GUI integrated into the familiar vSphere client interface.
Virtual Desktop Deployment
Virtual Desktop Deployment feature enables automated rapid creation of VDI desktops and leverages EqualLogic’s thin clone technology to deploy space-efficient VDI desktops. It helps save time and storage space and enables fast provisioning of additional desktops and re-deployment of desktop pools.
- Virtual Desktop Deployment feature automates virtual desktop deployment by managing operations on storage arrays and inside vCenter
- Thin Cloning provides storage space savings
- Time savings
- Better Scalability: Fast provisioning of additional desktops
- Fast and automated re-deployment of desktop pools
- GUI integrated into the familiar vSphere client interface
EqualLogic vSphere Storage APIs (VASA) Provider
EqualLogic vSphere Storage APIs (VASA) Provider tightly integrates EqualLogic with vSphere providing end-to-end storage capability view of the EqualLogic storage within the vSphere UI. This helps users with better storage allocation and management, all from a familiar interface.
- End-to-end EqualLogic storage visibility to the VMware users
- Integration and support for VMware storage profiles
- EqualLogic storage array events and alarms for critical events related to space, capacity allocation and accessibility are available within vCenter UI
- Storage capability view for Datastores—vSphere users can see the EqualLogic storage array RAID mix, snapshots, replication, and the SSD mix for each datastore
Learn More about EqualLogic
new FlashLibraryActivate( 'http://i.dell.com/images/global/ac/shell/ac.swf?SED=true&appWidth=180&SDContent=false&BGColor=0xFFFFFF&allowCopy=false&basePath=images%2fglobal%2fac%2f&skinPath=standard&cssPath=western.css&xmlPath=equallogic-software-videos.xml','180','310','#FFFFFF','8',alternateMarkup2dbe91695add4b2a8600c51d0664c5be,'','flashID_22b79527606240f0ba4cd43af873a10c','high','noscale','true','opaque','false','');